Tutorial: Clearly for Art Tattered Floral Roses

As promised, a tutorial for making the clear roses from my project yesterday.  These roses are made from Wendy Vecchi’s Clearly For Art Moldeling Film (by Stampers Anonymous), die cut using Tim Holz’s Tattered Florals Alterations die, and are colored with assorted colors of Ranger’s alcohol inks.  This example shows the film colored on only one side of the film.  The project yesterday was colored on both sides.  You will notice this example ends up looking more shiny.tammytutterow clearly for art rose

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Begin with three die cuts of the large six petal flower.  One flower has a single cut between two petals.  One flower has one petal removed.  One flower has two petals removed (kept in one piece).  Cut a circle out of the middle of each flower.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Begin with the flower that has all six petals.  Combine the two petals on each side of the slit to create one petal.  Use your Tiny Attacher tool to hold the two petals together.  Place the staple close to the hole in the center of the flower.  Once assembled, this flower will have five petals.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Cut one of the two petals off just above the staple.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Repeat the process for the flower that had one petal removed.  Once assembled, this flower will have four petals.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Repeat the process for the flower that had two petals removed.  Once assembled, this flower will have three petals.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Take the piece that has two petals and gently curl each petal so that it resembles a tube.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Take the single petal that is left and gently curl it into a tube shape.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Place a small amount of clear adhesive in the center of the five petal flower.  (I used Helmar 450 Quick Dry.)

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Place the four petal flower on top of the five petal flower, pressing it into the adhesive.  Hold it in place until the adhesive is set.  As you add each layer, stagger the petals so that they don’t line up with one another on each layer.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Again, apply adhesive to the center of the flower and place the three petal flower into the center.  Continue layering the flowers in place, placing the two petal piece next and then the single petal piece.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Optional- Gently curve the scrap petal portions.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Apply a light amount of adhesive to the straight edge of the petal and place it into the assembled flower wherever you like.  I like to add

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

The single and two petal pieces will most likely protrude through the bottom of the flower.  You can use this as a handle.  I used a alligator style clip to add an extra handle.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Use a heat tool to heat the film.  It doesn’t take long for it to become mold-able.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Once the film is warmed, shape the pieces with your fingers.  Although it is warmed, it is not too hot to touch.  It cools quickly so you may need to re-heat it until you have the shape you desire.  Once it cools it becomes rigid again.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

On a multi layer piece like this one, I found it helpful to try to direct my heat petal by petal and shape each individually.  The nice thing about the film is that you can’t over work it.  You can keep re-heating it until you have the effect you want.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

Once you are satisfied with the piece you can use scissors to trim off the tip on the bottom.  You can see on mine that the adhesive can darken with the heating so be sure to use the adhesive sparingly.

tammytutterow clearly for art rose

As I showed yesterday, you can use Rock Candy Distress Stickles to add a frosty effect or leave it as is.

www.tammytutterow.com

Comments

1. Elaine Allen says

Tammy –
    Thank you so much for this tutorial. What a truly lovely piece of art. Now I just have to place an order for the Modeling Film.
    Elaine Allen

2. Ms Joyce says

WOW I need to go over and over to get it all through my head. I love the rose .. lots of work for sure.

3. says

Tammy this is just gor-geous!! I love the look. Just wondering where I can buy the modeling film. I clicked on the link and it took me right to simonsaysstamp website but told me that there was an error. I would really like it if you could email me another link, once again beautiful rose!! TFS!
    Lily :)
    lilyjdesign@yahoo.com

4. says

WOW Tammy this is stunning… just stunning! And a really really good tutorial, too! I really like all the detailed pictures – there are a lot of tutorials out on the web but yours are among my favorites!!! Keep ‘em coming! (I know they are a lot of work, just wanted you to know it was appreciated!) Have a great evening! ~ ellen. (PS – New “Big Bang” tonight!!! woohoo!! Love that show!)

5. Kristy Hansen says

love this flower…..I found the film at SA–and ordered a few. Now I have to get the alcohol inks. I have all of the distress pads, but yet to get into the inks….But now I have a mission. Thank you for sharing. kh

6. Shirley says

Oh this is beautiful! I absolutely love it. I shall be trying this on Saturday for sure. Thank you so much for the tutorial.

7. says

thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! i already told you how much i love your art, your generosity makes it only that much more appreciable!

8. Heidi Gore says

Wow!! If I had that die I would have only thought that I could make flat flowers. You truly share the most interesting ideas for helping us think outside the box. Keep the ideas coming.

9. says

This is AWESOME!!!!! I am SO trying this when I get home!!! Thank you SO much for taking the time to create this tutorial!!!! You’re the best teacher!!!! ;D

10. says

OMG I have just found this tutorial and I love it.
    I have had a rummage in my stash to see if I could find an alternative to the film, I think I have so I am going to have a play.
    If it does not work I shall have to find a place in the UK that sells this film, sometimes we are so behind the times………….

11. betty says

I thought the grungepaper roses were the ultimate,but I can’t wait to try this. Especially since alcohol inks are my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

12. Regina says

What a lovely rose! Thank you for sharing it! I am now following you on GFC. Come on over to the farm and follow back when you have time! God bless!
    Regina

13. says

These flowers are AWESOME!! Love them! I am in serious need of this Clearly for Art medeling Film!! I can think of so many things the flowers will look great on!!

14. Cim Allen says

Thank you for showing how to do this .. it’ll take some practice but I think eventually I’ll get a good one :) Thanks again

15. says

Thanks Tammy! I wasn’t quite sure what I could do with that modeling film. Now, it’s going to the top of the wish list. Beautiful project that you created with it.