As promised, a tutorial for making the clear roses from my project yesterday. These roses are made from Wendy Vecchi’s Clearly For Art Moldeling Film (by Stampers Anonymous), die cut using Tim Holz’s Tattered Florals Alterations die, and are colored with assorted colors of Ranger’s alcohol inks. This example shows the film colored on only one side of the film. The project yesterday was colored on both sides. You will notice this example ends up looking more shiny.
Begin with three die cuts of the large six petal flower. One flower has a single cut between two petals. One flower has one petal removed. One flower has two petals removed (kept in one piece). Cut a circle out of the middle of each flower.
Begin with the flower that has all six petals. Combine the two petals on each side of the slit to create one petal. Use your Tiny Attacher tool to hold the two petals together. Place the staple close to the hole in the center of the flower. Once assembled, this flower will have five petals.
Cut one of the two petals off just above the staple.
Repeat the process for the flower that had one petal removed. Once assembled, this flower will have four petals.
Repeat the process for the flower that had two petals removed. Once assembled, this flower will have three petals.
Take the piece that has two petals and gently curl each petal so that it resembles a tube.
Take the single petal that is left and gently curl it into a tube shape.
Place a small amount of clear adhesive in the center of the five petal flower. (I used Helmar 450 Quick Dry.)
Place the four petal flower on top of the five petal flower, pressing it into the adhesive. Hold it in place until the adhesive is set. As you add each layer, stagger the petals so that they don’t line up with one another on each layer.
Again, apply adhesive to the center of the flower and place the three petal flower into the center. Continue layering the flowers in place, placing the two petal piece next and then the single petal piece.
Optional- Gently curve the scrap petal portions.
Apply a light amount of adhesive to the straight edge of the petal and place it into the assembled flower wherever you like. I like to add
The single and two petal pieces will most likely protrude through the bottom of the flower. You can use this as a handle. I used a alligator style clip to add an extra handle.
Use a heat tool to heat the film. It doesn’t take long for it to become mold-able.
Once the film is warmed, shape the pieces with your fingers. Although it is warmed, it is not too hot to touch. It cools quickly so you may need to re-heat it until you have the shape you desire. Once it cools it becomes rigid again.
On a multi layer piece like this one, I found it helpful to try to direct my heat petal by petal and shape each individually. The nice thing about the film is that you can’t over work it. You can keep re-heating it until you have the effect you want.
Once you are satisfied with the piece you can use scissors to trim off the tip on the bottom. You can see on mine that the adhesive can darken with the heating so be sure to use the adhesive sparingly.
As I showed yesterday, you can use Rock Candy Distress Stickles to add a frosty effect or leave it as is.