I have been daydreaming of making this fabric book for a long time. I just seemed to be bogged down with so many other things that I hadn’t found a chance to sit down and do it. Finally I did it and I am so in love with the way it turned out!
For this fabric tag shaped book, I decided to center it around lyrics of a favorite song on my workout play list. It is a song called Alive by Superchick. If you are curious, you can listen to it on You Tube here. The part about “we were born with wings, we were made to fly” always sticks in my head. I love the thought of being strong, taking charge, and using my wings to fly. As I sat down to make this little book I decided to make it very art journal like and use the song lyrics for the text.
I started out with a tag shaped book that I made from muslin and my own pattern. The great part of making this book from scratch is that I could stamp, stencil, spritz, and get all sorts of inky on a flat piece of fabric rather than trying to do all of that to a premade book.
I decorated the cover with several different elements. I stamped a background using Tim Holtz’s Papillon and Slight Alterations stamps with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I added a tree branch with the Birds of a Feather stencil by The Crafter’s Workshop. I used Lettuce and Meadow Color Wash for the the green on the branch. I added a spritz of Yellow Daisy and Blue Skies Glimmer Mist to add a bit of background color.
To embellish the branch, I colorized pieces of Tim Holtz Idea-ology Foliage with multiple colors of Distress Embossing Powders along with a touch of Ranger Bridal Embossing Powder. I added glitter stars, velvet leaves, and crystal dangles by Prima to the clusters of flowers. I also added a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Philosophy Tag with a Memo Pin. I dabbed the metal tag with an Adirondack Snow Cap Paint Dabber and then melted Bridal Embossing Powder onto it.
I took one of the black and white moth stickers from the Crowded Attic Salvage Sticker book and adhered it to a smooth piece of white cardstock. I trimmed the moth out, cutting away the extra border space on the sticker. Because the antenae really couldn’t be cut out, I cut them off and replaced them with a thin piece of floral wire. I also gave the moth color by using my Letraset Promarkers, which are excellent for coloring on slick surfaces like stickers.
I have a mad and serious love for these letter stamps by Hero Arts. They are single letter wood mount stamps. I love that they are a classic typewriter style font. I love to stamp and make the letters akew a bit. They seem perfectly imperfect that way.
In addition to adding the distess embossing powder to the metal leaves and flowers, I also added Distress Embossing Powder to the metal grommet that I added to the book cover.
I finished off the cover with a Tim Holtz Idea-ology Swivel Clasp embellished with a Chain Tassel, pearl Baubles, and a Pink Paislee Butterfly Garden butterfly clip and some crinkley dyed seam binding.
Tomorrow I will be back to share the inside of the book. I think it is kind of a different look for me, kind of more random and artsy. I can’t wait to share it!
- book: my own pattern cut from creme muslin and spritzed with Walnut Gold Glimmer Mist
- stamps: Tim Holtz Papillon and Slight Alterations; Hero Arts Playful Letters, Printer’s Type LC, and Printer’s Type UC
- stencil: The Crafter’s Workshop Birds of a Feather
- embossing powder: Tim Holtz Distress Embossing Powders- Dried Marigold, Spiced Marmelade, Mustard Seed, Scattered Straw, Milled Lavender, Dusty Concord, Tattered Rose, Worn Lipstick, Broken China, Faded Jeans, Shabby Shutters, Peeled Paint, Antique Linen; Ranger Ink Bridal Embossing Tinsel
- ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Vintage Photo and Black Soot
- mists: Adirondack Color Wash Meadow and Lettuce; Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist Blue Skies, Walnut Gold, Yellow Daisy
- paint: Adirondack Snow Cap Paint Dabber
- markers: Letraset Promarkers
- embellishments: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Foliage, Philosiphy Tags, Memo Pin, Swivel Clasp, Baubles, and Chain Tassel; Prima Marketing Galaxy Stars (I used white), Velvet Leaves, Holiday Lights Crystal Sprays; Pink Paislee Butterfly Garden Metal Charms; Dritz Grommets
- stickers: Tim Holtz Idea-ology Crowded Attic Salvage Stickers
- ribbon: dyed and crinkled seam binding