The last of my Tim Holtz projects and the one that ties for my favorite. This piece a hanging piece that is puffy like a quilt. I love, love, love the vintage shabby look of the finished piece!
This piece is comprised of a matte board center with two layers of batting on each side of it and then fabric over the batting on the back and a sheet of Tim’s Christmas Memories Kraft Resist paper. All layers are sewn together. (The matte board is smaller than the other pieces and is inside the sewn area, it is not sewn through.) All of the embellishing was done before the sewing.
I began adding color to the Kraft Resist paper with my ink blending tool. I used it to work in Broken China and Peeled Paint Distress Inks onto the paper avoiding the leaves and berries. After inking, I added color to the leaves and berries with Letraset Promarkers. Alcohol Ink based markers like Letraset Promarkers, Copics, and Adirondack Alcohol Ink in the Fillable Pens work really well on the Kraft Resist Paper. They don’t run or bleed and stay where they are put. You can even blend on the paper. The colors on Kraft look really cool and vintagey. After coloring with markers I added Walnut Stain Distress Ink to all edges and then misted the entire surface with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist.
I added a few tears and curls to the edges. I also brushed ink onto the curls and the batting so that the insides looked good and vintagey too.
This little cluster in the center makes me so happy! I love the way it came together. The bottom layer is a Styled Label die cut. I cut one from Grungepaper and one from Sticky Back Canvas and layered them together. I brushed the label with Broken China Distress Ink and then embossed it with the Snow Fluries Texture Fade. I embossed it so that the snow flakes were sunk in. I brushed Walnut Stain Distress Ink lightly over the raised area. The label was sewed to the piece of Kraft Resist Paper.
I adhered a Grungepaper heart that I colored with Fired Brick Distress Stain and Fired Brick Distress Stickles. I added Walnut Stain Distress Ink to the edges. I used 3D Foam Squares to adhere a Word Key to over the heart. The key has a word on one side that didn’t feet with my theme so I adhered it word side down.
I blotted Walnut Stain Distress Stain onto two pieces of vintage lace. I layered the two pieces of lace with a strip of Grungepaper. The Grungepaper was colored with Peeled Paint Distress Stain, misted with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist, and inked with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. I used my favorite alpha stamps to add text to the strip. I placed the strip over the heart and stitched it in place. I added two Mini Pins for decoration.
I added a bit of Trimmings Ribbon colored with Bundled Sage Distress Stain. After coloring and drying the ribbon, I tapped on some Walnut Stain Distress Ink to add some age to it. I also added a bit of waxed thread to the key to hold a Mini Tassel, a Christmas Muse Token, and a Christmas Adornment charm. I inked the token and charm with Snow Cap Pigment Ink. After heat drying, I added embossing ink and Bridal Tinsel Embossing Powder. I added a second layer of clear embossing powder to give a nice glossy finish.
I used two fabric grommets to the two top corners. I added a thread wrapped floral wire to the piece through the grommets to create a hanging wire. The color of the thread was bright green and didn’t match the project well. I brushed over it with Forest Moss Distress Stain to darken it to match.
I misted a few sprigs of greenery with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist. Once it was dry I tied it to the hanger using more of the colored Trimmings ribbon.
Trust me when I tell you that the shimmer and vintage feel of this piece is so much more in person. I just really love the finished piece. It is so simple and so pretty. I have already made plans to break this one down into a tutorial in the very near future. So if you love it, be looking for more instructions soon!
- paper- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Kraft Resist Christmas Memories, Grungepaper, Grungeboard (easel)
- stamps- Hero Arts Printer’s Type Lower Case Alpha
- dies- Tim Holtz Alterations Small Easel, Mini Hearts, Styled Labels
- embossing folders: Snow Fluries
- embellishments- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Adornments: Christmas, Muse Tokens: Christmas, Word Key, Mini Pins, grommets, greenery
- ink- Tim Holtz Distress Ink: Broken China, Walnut Stain; Adirondack Snow Cap Pigment Ink
- markers- Letraset Promarkers Poppy, Marsh Green, Pear Green, Burnt Siena
- stains- Tim Holtz Distress Stains Peeled Paint, Antique Linen, Fired Brick, Forest Moss and Bundled Sage
- mists- Perfect Pearls Mist: Biscotti
- fibers- Tim Holtz Idea-ology Trimmings; waxed thread; vintage lace
- fabric- Claudine Hellmuth Sticky Back Canvas, cream muslin, cotton batting
- tools- Tim Holtz Tiny Attacher and Sanding Grip; Ranger Ink Blending Tool; Fiskars Pinking Sheers; sewing machine
- adhesives- Therm O Web Sticky Strip Runner, Super Tape, Super Stick, and 3D Foam Squares
- misc.- Ranger Clear Embossing Powder, Bridal Tinsel; Tim Holtz Distress Stickles Barn Door