I was super thrilled to use the new Tim Holtz Stamp2Cut cartridges for my eclips machine to create CHA samples. I have always been pretty good at cutting detailed images out with a craft knife and scissors, but let me tell you, there is no way I could ever begin to cut images out the way Stamp2Cut cuts them. It is seriously amazing!
For this tag, I began by applying Picket Fence Distress Stain to the front of the tag. After drying the stain, I stamp the eye image using Black Soot Distress Ink. While the ink was still wet, I added clear embossing powder to the eye and heated it to melt the powder. I used an embossing ink pen to fill in any areas that were not covered by embossing powder and then added and melted more powder until the eye was completely covered. I wanted to keep any background ink out of the eye image so I used the embossing powder as a mask.
I then stamped my phrase using Faded Jeans Distress Ink and again added clear embossing powder to the ink. After the melted embossing powder was cool, I inked the eye chart stamp using Brushed Corduroy Distress Stain. I love the very fluid and imperfect look stamping with the stains creates.
Normally I dry any Distress Stain that I stamp with, but this time I let it air dry. It was kind of by accident but I love the effect of what happened. . . I began adding color to the background by adding Distress Ink (Old Paper, Antique Linen, and Vintage Photo) with a blending tool in straight swipes from top to bottom. When I passed through the stamped stain, the portions that were wet moved along with my blending tool, adding to the faded look.
I finished adding color to the background by adding Faded Jeans Distress Ink to the edges of the tags. In addition to blending it on the edges, I also drug some down onto the tag slightly.
To add color to the eye I first had to remove the embossing powder. I placed my tag between sheets of news print and ironed the tag with a clothes iron (without steam). The embossing powder re-melts and transfers onto the news print. I moved the tag several times to clean areas of paper and repeated the ironing process until all of the embossing was removed.
I then added color to the eye by using a water brush to paint on Distress Ink like water color paints.
To create the spectacles, I cut several layers of the stamped image using my eclips machine with the Stamp2Cut cartridge that matches this stamp. I cut one base of manila cardstock. I cut one layer of Shrink Plastic (I used the cut out lenses and saved the frame part of the image for a charm for another project). I applied foil tape to manila cardstock stamped the image on the foil using Staz-on ink. I cut two layers from the foil/cardstock.
I assembled the layers together and placed them on the tag with foam tape to raise them up off of the surface. I absolutely love how this tag turned out! It I love how the detailed cut of the Stamp2Cut pieces make it so dimensional and unique.