Today I want to share with you a Configurations box that I made for the Tim Holtz Idea-ology Booth at CHA Summer. The summer show is all about fall and winter holiday products so even though it is blistering hot outside, the sample making in July was all about fall and winter.
To create this project, I started with a 6×8 Configurations box. I removed all but three of the inside boxes. Covered the inside of the box with blue patterned paper from the Holidays Past Paper Stash. I covered the outside of the lid with green patterned paper. I saved the clear insert from the lid for future projects. I sanded the outside edges of the frame opening and inked all of the outside edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.
I stamped the three remaining inner boxes with the wood grain stamp from the Wallpaper and Wood stamp set using Walnut Stain Distresss Stain. I love the soft fluid look you get from stamping with the stains. I added Walnut Stain Distress Ink with an ink blending tool to the edges. I placed the small boxes back inside so that the solid backs would face outside. I glued the boxes down to keep them in place.
I embellished the back wall of the box with small die cut snowflakes cut from Mirrored Sheets. I love the way they reflect the light of the Mini Lantern.
For the back inside wall, I cut a house shape using the Artful Dwellings die from chipboard that I covered with pattern paper. I used one of the small window inserts to cut a small window in the house. I adhered a scrap piece of vintage lace behind the window. I adhered the completed piece to the inside back of my Configurations box with adhesive foam squares so that it would stand out from the back. I added a wreath embellished with colored paper twine and two Woodlands trees outside of the house.
I wanted my Woodlands pieces to stay mostly white so I used Forest Moss Distress Stain to brush color onto the tips. Imagine what happens when you brush against a wet toothbrush. . . how you get a lot of splatter. . . yes, that is what happened when I brushed the edges of the tree with the stain directly from the bottle. It worked to color it but I got a lot of splatter (ie all over my arms, my face, my clothes. . .). I would suggest that if you want to color Woodlands with Distress Stain that you apply the stain to your craft sheet and then roll the Woodlands into the puddled color. Unless you like having Distress Stain freckles. . .
Below the lantern next to the house I cut a picket fence from the On The Fence die from manila cardstock. I used Picket Fence Distress Stain to make the fence white. After drying the stain, I added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to the edges to give it some grunge.
After all of the pieces were in place, I placed generous amounts of Clear Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint and Crystal Stickles. I allowed it to drip from the roof top, lantern, and fence edges just like real snow and ice would. On the "ground" next to the fence I heaped the Rock Candy and Stickles until it looked piled up like a snow drift. Applying it this thick takes considerable drying time so if you recreate this look, allow plenty of dry time.
I love the way the Rock Candy and the Stickles intensified the stain color and dried in clumps like ice.
On the outside of the box, I wrapped a wide green ribbon around the outside of the box and tied it in a knot on the top. I die cut Festive Greenery pieces from manila cardstock and colored them with Distress Ink and an ink blending tool. I arranged the pieces around the ribbon so that they laid like a real greenery floral arrangement.
I wanted the holly shape leaves to have some shine. After coloring them with Distress Ink I stamped over the surface of them with Distress Embossing Ink and covered them with clear embossing powder. I love the mixture of shiny leaves mixed in with matte leaves.
To create "holly berries" I used a hole punch to punch circles from manila cardstock that had been colored red with Distress Ink. I placed the circles in the Custom Fastener brads and added the epoxy top. I love how they added dimension and shine. After all of the pieces where in place, I added Crystal Stickles onto some of the leaves, around the berries, and into some crevices to look like ice and snow.
I added Foundations Box Feet to the bottom of the box on the four corners.
On the front of the box, I added a Styled Label cut from Grungepaper. I colored the surface of the label with Pewter Distress Stain (love!!). After drying the stain, I added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to the edges with an ink blending tool.
On the left side of the label I added a die cut heart colored with Distress Stain, misted with Biscotti Perfect Pearls Mist, and stamped with a sheet music stamp. I added Chit Chat letters to the heart and added machine stitching to the edges of the stickers. On the right side of the label, I added the word HOME using letters from the Grunge Blocks set. I colored each letter first with Picket Fence and then Broken China Distress Stains. After drying the stain, I inked the edges with Vintage Photo Distress Ink. After adhering the letters to the label, I added machine stitching along the bottom edge of the letters.
Below the letters I added another Chit Chat sticker and a Christmas Muse Token. To accent the Muse Token, I painted it with a white paint dabber. After heat drying the paint, I tapped on Vintage Photo Distress Ink with an ink blending tool. I added embossing ink over the surface and then covered the token with clear embossing powder. After melting the powder I added the token to the label using striped Paper String.
I love the finished project! I think it turned out so sweet and homey and is full of heart! I will be donating this piece to a raffle sponsored by Inspiration Emporium to benefit The Race for the Cure. I will blog again with the details as soon as I have them.