I love this skull stamp so much! I am not normally a big Halloween fan and struggle when I have to make Halloween theme projects. This stamp changed that. When I was making samples for CHA I found myself reaching for this stamp from the Tim Holtz Apothecary stamp set again and again. Like the other card (Happy Halloween card) I shared featuring this skull image, I cut it using Stamp2Cut on my Sizzix eclips.
I cut a card base using Tim Holtz Core’dinations Cardstock. I really love the kraft color on the back of the cardstock so I folded the card so that the texture was on the inside of my card. I added color to the front of the card by applying Black Soot Distress Stain in streaks from the top to the bottom of the card. Next, I applied streaks of Pewter Distress Stain in streaks from the top to the bottom overlapping the Black Soot streaks. I made sure to leave areas of the black uncovered so that it would show through the Pewter. After drying the stain, I applied Vintage Photo Distress Ink the edges of the card with an ink blending tool.
Look at the shine from the Pewter Distress Stain! Seriously, if you haven’t picked up the new Metallic Distress Stains, you really must. They are amazing!
For the next layer I cut a strip of manila cardstock that was the same length and slightly more narrow than my card front. I tore the bottom edge of the strip. I used the text from the Apothecary stamp set to randomly stamp all over the piece of manila cardstock using Black Soot Distress Ink. While the ink was still wet, I sprinkled clear embossing powder onto the ink. After shaking off the excess I heated the embossing powder to set it. The effect really doesn’t show up in these photos, but it made the text lightly shiny and created a resist for the background color.
To add interest to the manila background I crinkled it adding wrinkles and creases. I then misted the manila cardstock. While it was wet I dabbed the surface with Antique Linen Distress Stain. After drying the cardstock, I applied Vintage Photo Distress Ink with an ink blending tool to the edges and over the surface.
I stamped a label from the same stamp set onto a scrap piece of a manila cardstock using Jet Black Archival Ink. I colored the label with a combination of Barn Red and Wild Honey Distress Stains. I die cut the letters “BOO” from manila cardstock using the Tim Holtz Typeset Sizzix die. I used a Black Soot Distress Ink Marker to color the letters black. I like the light sides of the cardstock showing, I think it gives is a shadow effect. After adhering the letters to the tag, I stapled the tag to the manila strip which I adhered to the card front. For an extra touch, I added staples to the top of the manila strip as well.
Finally, I stamped the skull image on Specialty Stamping Paper with Jet Black Archival Ink. The detail in stamped images on Specialty Stamping Paper is amazing! It has become my go-to paper for stamping on white. After stamping, I cut the skull image out using Stamp2Cut on my Sizzix eclips. After cutting, I colored the skull using Scattered Straw and Antique Linen Distress Ink Markers. I added highlights with a Picket Fence Distress Ink Marker. When I finished coloring, I adhered the skull to the front of the card using adhesive foam squares.
For a long time I claimed that I couldn’t make cards. That was before this CHA when I got the assignment to make cards and not tags. I embraced the challenge and figured out that I could indeed make cards. I still have a ton more to share so stay tuned for more to come!