Hello everyone! Today I have a card to share with you that features the wood grain technique that I shared on Tuesday (http://tammytutterow.com/2013/01/specialty-stamping-paper-woodgrain/). I created this card for CHA as a sample to show new products by Tim Holtz and Sizzix.
The main focus of the card is the pointing finger from the new Ringmaster stamp set. The finger reminded me of a design from old-fashioned carved wood signs. Thankfully there was a perfect older die, the hanging sign that was perfect for creating the old-fashioned hanging sign I was imagining.
I created the card base by folding an extra-large #12 kraft tag in half. I applied Vintage Photo Distress Ink with an ink blending tool to the edges. I used a Therm O Web iCraft adhesive sheet to adhere a piece of Specialty Stamping Paper to a piece of grunge paper. I die cut the assembled piece using the new Postage Stamp die. I created the wood grain design using the technique I shared in the Specialty Stamp Paper Wood Grain tutorial.
After creating the background design, I adhered the piece to the front of the card. I added Mini Fasteners to each corner to anchor the stamp frame piece to the front of the card.
To create the sign, I embossed a piece of adhesive foil using the technique I shared in the Riveted Stars tutorial. Generally, I would apply the foil to my base material and then emboss it and do the paint technique. In this case, I wanted the sign base to be grungeboard, which is too thick to emboss. The solution was to emboss and paint just the foil. After the paint was dry, I carefully removed the backing and adhered it to a piece of grungeboard. After I adhered the two layers together, I die cut the piece using the framework part of the hanging sign die.
I cut thin strips of adhesive foam to line the back of the sign framework. I used a paintbrush to paint the sides of the foam with Brushed Silver Distress Stain so that the parts of the foam that might show would be less noticeable. I embellished the framework with layers of Sprocket Gears, Mini Gears, and Mini Fasteners.
To create the sign part of the hanging sign, I adhered manila cardstock to a piece of grungepaper using an iCraft sheet. After die cutting the piece I embossed it using the Woodgrain embossing folder. I applied Vintage Photo, Antique Linen, and Walnut Stain Distress Inks to the embossed piece. I flicked water on the ink to create water spots in the ink to add extra texture and color variation. I attached the sign to the framework using jump rings.
To create the pointing finger, I stamped the finger design twice on manila cardstock using Coffee Archival Ink. I cut the hand and cuff part from one stamping and the entire hand and cuff from the other. I used Stamp2Cut with my Sizzix eclips.
To create the woodgrain design on the stamped pieces, I laid the woodgrain stamp face up on my craft sheet and inked it with Antique Linen Distress Stain. I laid the cut stamped pieces face down onto the inked stamp. I pressed lightly on the stamped pieces to lightly transfer the woodgrain design. I used the intact hand/cuff piece as a base. I inked the center area with Vintage Photo Distress Ink to create a shadowy look. For the hand, I blended Walnut Stain Distress Ink around the edges. I used the ink already in my blue ink blending tool (mostly Tumbled Glass I think) to apply some blue ink to the cuff piece, as well as Walnut Stain to the edges. I adhered the cut out hand over the hand on the base. I wanted to add extra dimension to the cuff, so I placed an adhesive foam square in the center of the cuff before adhering it to the base. I used liquid glue to adhere the top and bottom cuff edges directly to the cuff on the base piece below. This gave the assembled cuff piece a rounded dimensional look.
I left the sign hanging free so that it had movement on the card.
On the inside, I die cut manila cardstock letters using the new Wanted and Blocked alphabets. I cut the letters from scraps that I had stamped on. I intended to use the clean side of the scraps, but inadvertently cut a few of the letters with the stamped images on the correct side of the letter. I decided I liked the randomness of it and decided to keep them. I used an ink blending tool to color the letters with blue, brown and red Distress Inks. I added a small strip of manila die cut with the Vintage Lace die colored with Brushed Pewter Distress Stain. I also added a few more gears to tie in to the gears on the front of the card.
As a final touch, I die cut a small heart from the grungeboard/embossed metal foil tape that I cut the framework for the sign from. I love that it brings in that feel from the cover.
Thanks for taking a look at this project. I still have tons more to share with you featuring new products from CHA. I am trying to keep sharing a new project every two days, so check back in a few for another new project!