Today I have a quick project to share. I created this project to showcase the new Tim Holtz Sewing Blueprints stamp set. This project was a quickie that would look great hanging in a sewing or creative space.
I began with a small wooden 6″ x 6″ holiday sign that came with a wire hanger. It had a printed holiday design on it. I picked it up when Christmas decor was on clearance which made for a cheap project. In place of the wooden sign, you could use a heavy piece of chipboard or matboard for a similar look.
I wrapped the sides with Tim Holtz Tissue Tape to disguise the plain unfinished sides.
I stamped the spool design on a 3 1/2″ x 3 1/2″ piece of cream cotton fabric using Jet Black Archival ink. I stamped the word label on a small scrap of manila cardstock colored with Antique Linen Distress Stain. I cut the label out and adhered it over the label on the fabric. I colored the spool with Antique Linen, Scattered Straw, Black Soot, and Walnut Stain Distress Markers. I used a water brush to blend the marker inks. I colored the needle using a water brush to apply Brushed Silver Distress Stain.
I adhered the stamped fabric piece with a piece of batting with SuperStik glue stick (paper and fabric glue stick safe for machine stitching). I stitched around the spool part of the stamped image with embroidery floss so that it would look like thread wrapped around the spool. I brought the end of the floss through the eye of the stamped needle. I used an ink blending tool to brush the edges of the fabric with Walnut Stain Distress Ink for a bit of aging.
To cover the front of the sign, I cut a piece of cotton batting and blue ticking patterned paper to 6″ x 6″. I trimmed the patterned paper down by about 1/8″ with pinking sheers. I applied Walnut Stain Distress Ink with an ink blending tool to the edges of the paper. I adhered the paper to the batting using SuperStik. Next I adhered the stamped piece (fabric /batting) using SuperStik. I machine stitched around the stamped piece, stitching it to the paper/batting piece. I then stitched around the edge of the paper/batting piece. After the sewing was complete, I adhered the assembled piece to the front of the sign with liquid glue.
I dyed a piece of crinkle ribbon with Bundled Sage and Antique Linen Distress Stains and Walnut Stain Distress Ink. After drying the ribbon I used it to tie a Word Band metal strip to the front of the sign. I wrapped the ribbon around the back of the sign, tying it off in two simple bows on each end of the Word Stick.
I added a small mini safety pin to each bow as an accent and to also secure the bows to the front of the fabric.
Before securing the Word Band down to the front of the piece, I slipped a small piece of vintage handmade lace under the band. I used a drop of liquid glue to hold both in place.
I think this little sign is so cute! I knew the instant I saw the blue ticking pattern paper that it would have to be used in a project about sewing. What luck that the new stamps included sewing themed set! It was as if it were meant to be!