Hello! I am back today with another CHA project to share. Since I am trying to work through these projects, I thought I would skip the regular tutorial today to bring you another show project instead.
Today’s project is a winter scene in a Tim Holtz Assemblage Clock. If you haven’t used one of these clocks yet, you need to! They are so fun to decorate. I left the front glass out of mine to create a shadowbox.
I covered the inside floor of the clock with white cotton batting for a soft piled ground look. I covered the batting with tons of Rock Candy Distress Stickles to create sparkling snow. I sprinkled Rock Candy Distress Glitter onto the wet Stickles to make sure it was super glittery.
I painted the metal numbers with Picket Fence Distress Paint. After the first coat was dry, I tapped on some Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I then added more paint. Some of the brown seeped through. While the second coat of paint was wet I sprinkle one clear embossing powder, some Fired Brick Distress Embossing Powder and Rock Candy Distress Glitter into the wet paint. After heat drying it turned out lumpy, bumpy, and glisteny.
I misted the tree with Peeled Paint Distress Stain. I spread Rock Candy Distress Stickles over the tree. To add extra sparkle, I sprinkled extra Rock Candy Glitter.
Inside, I placed a piece of pattern paper that featured a map of the North Pole. I crinkled, wrinkled, rolled, and inked the map to make it aged. Next to the map, I added a small flag die cut from manila cardstock. I painted the flag with Picket Fence and Fired Paint. After the paint dried I sanded it to make it smooth and worn. I added a Remnant Rub. I added the flag to the scene using a Memo Pin. The flag and the map both got a generous helping of “snow” and “ice”.
I attached a Mirrored Star to a Memo Pin and used it as a tree topper.
I added a skate pushed down into the snow while the snow on the ground was still wet.
The outside of the clock was kind of a journey…
I began by painting it all Fired Brick Distress Paint. After two coats I was pretty pleased with the coverage. I decided that I wanted a shabby old paint look so I added a layer of Clear Rock Candy Distress Paint. I thought I had enough of a base coat to prevent much flaking… but evidently not. I got a lot of flaking and I hated it. Next I decided to sand the paint to smooth it so I could cover up the red and Rock Candy. After sanding, I started painting on Picket Fence Distress Paint. As I painted it on I realized that I just was not going to be able to cover up the red or the uneven surface from the flaking.
I decided to embrace it. I sanded a bit more to show more layers and brushed on some Vintage Photo Distress Ink. The final result is a really chippy shabby painty look. I love it.
To cover the side of the clock, I sewed bits of paper together to create a paper band. I inked the torn edges to add age.
I painted the bells and metal hardware of the clock with Tarnished Brass Distress Paint. They looked great in the bright gold color, but felt very new next to the chippy paint. Thanks to a suggestion by the amazingly talented Paula Cheney, I dabbed on Mushroom Alcohol Ink and ended up with perfectly aged gold accents.
I used a Swivel Clasp to hang a Clock Key off of one of the bells.
I added a big red fluffy bow and a banner of flags hung on paper string to the outside.
This was such a fun little project! I think it would be fun to do one for each season to decorate a mantle or special little display nook in the house.
I will be back again tomorrow with another Idea-ology project from CHA to share.