Happy Friday! I am not sure what happened, but along the way in sharing the projects I made for CHA in January, I got sidetracked. I still have a ton to share and am going to buckle down and get them posted. Today I have an embossed metal house numbers sign that features Vintaj.
To create this tile, I started with a 6″ x 6″ piece of thin wood. I die cut the numbers 515 (my house numbers from grunge paper using the Brenda Walton Antiqua Numbers dies. I adhered the numbers to the center of the wood.
I added silver Ranger foil tape around the edge of the wood to give a finished look. I embossed a silver Vintaj Arte Foil sheet with the Vintaj Arching Trees Textured Impressions embossing folder. I peeled the backing off of the adhesive Arte Foil sheet and adhered it to the front of the wood piece over the top of the die cut numbers. I used a soft dry cloth to rub over the surface of the numbers. Rubbing over the numbers causes the foil to crease around them and “bring them to the top”. For extra definition, I wrapped the tip of an embossing stylus in a dry cloth and traced around the numbers. The cloth will keep the tip from scratching the metal and will help keep it from making too sharp of an impression.
I painted the tile using Vintaj Cobalt Patina. I used a fine detail paint brush to add color accents (Vintaj Ochre + Marble and Jade Patinas). I used a Vintaj Reliefing Block to buff over the surface to add wear and to knock some of the color off to reveal the original silver surface. I covered the entire surface with Vintaj Glaze to add shine. When dry, the finished tile looks like a glazed pottery tile. So very cool looking in person.
For a small finishing touch, I die cut a butterfly from the silver Vintaj Arte Foil using the Vintaj Sizzix Nouveau Butterfly Embosslits die. Embosslits are cool because they cut and emboss in one pass! I used Vintaj Patinas in Rust and Earth to add color in the recessed areas of the butterfly. After a quick buffing with a Vintaj Reliefing Block it was ready to be adhered with a bit of adhesive foam.
I love how this tile turned out! It is perfect for displaying in my old 1923 bungalow. Best of all, I made it using only wood, Art Foil, dies and embossing folders, and Patinas! A real custom glazed ceramic tile would cost me a fortune!