Happy Saturday! Today I am stopping in with a really quick project idea for your weekend crafting. This home decor project is so easy too! It is no secret that I love home decor items from the clearance aisle at Hobby Lobby to make over. I often pick up any wooden boxes or frames they have even if I don’t have an idea for them. When I spotted this wooden box, I was drawn to its yellow color and unique shape. The design printed on the top of a fishing lure… not so much.
The top of this box just happened to be 6×6 which just happens to be the same size as Ranger Vintaj Arte Foil Sheets and Sizzix Vintaj Textured Impressions. I simply embossed one of the Arte Foil sheets with a Textured Impressions folder, added Ranger Vintaj Patinas (specially formulated paints for metal), buffed the metal with a Vintaj Reliefing Block, peeled off the backing and stuck the foil right onto the top of the box. Talk about an instant make over!
I painted the foil for the top of the box in shades of yellow to coordinate with the yellow already on the box. Working with the original color saves a lot of time. To tie the colors from the top in to the box, I dry brushed the same colors of Patinas onto the box sides. Patinas look great on wood! I think they gave the box a real weathered and stained look.
After I adhered the foil to the lid, I took a brown archival ink pad and rubbed it over the raised areas of the embossed design and along the edges. The ink will dry on the painted foil and add what looks like stain and age. It really accents the design. I also brushed the pad onto the wooden box lightly in a few places to tie that color in to the lower box also.
To embellish the top of the box, I die cut two pieces of silver Arte Foil with the Vintaj Branching Leaf Embosslits die. Embosslits cut and emboss at the same time. I painted each leaf with Patinas. When the paint was dry I used a Reliefing Block to buff the embossed design. I adhere the two leaves to the center of the box with adhesive foam. (I did not peel off the backing from the foil sheets.)
I also die cut and painted four flowers with the Flowering Lace embosslits die. I adhered them in a round pattern to create a larger flowers shape over the top of the leaves with adhesive foam.
Finally I added a vintage button to the center of the flowers.
Talk about a simple! I love that it is so easy to create a unique home decor piece out of a bargain aisle find!