Today’s card is one I wish I could pass around for all of you to see up close and touch. These photos fall way short of doing it justice. I hope that you will get enough of the idea of its coolness and want to try it yourself. I think a step-out tutorial will be coming soon, until then though I am going to talk you through it… so cool.
The base of the card is a white cardstock card base. I added a strip of gold Deco Sheet along the bottom. I randomly applied Mushroom Alcohol Ink over the gold to add age and darken the gold color.
For the next layer, which is the blue area, I cut a piece of manila cardstock to fit the front of the card. I embossed it with the new Tim Holtz Tiles Texture Fade (ships in April). I cut the lower edge around the design
Here is where the cool part comes in… I applied Texture Paste over the embossed cardstock piece. spreading it with a palette knife until the paste filled in all the debossed areas. After the paste was dry I misted it with Tumbled Glass Distress Spray Stain. The Texture Paste soaks up the spray. The light color is the manila base. I inked the edge of the piece with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink before attaching it to the card front.
I die cut two matching butterflies from manila cardstock with the new Butterfly Duo die (shipping NOW). I embossed both with the coordinating Texture Fade. I inked the butterflies with Shabby Shutters and Peeled Paint Distress Inks using an ink blending tool. I misted the butterflies with Mint Perfect Pearls Mists.
After drying the butterflies, I inked the raised areas on the butterflies with Black Soot and Gathered Twigs Distress Inks. I sprinkled clear embossing powder over the wet ink. I melted the powder with a heat tool. I adhered the bodies of the two butterflies together. I adhered the assembled butterfly to the card and bent the wings upward.
On the left side of the card I added a strip of postage stamps die cut with manila using the new Postage Dots die. I tore the die cut along the perforations so that I had a strip. I inked the piece with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink. I misted water onto my hand and flicked it onto the ink to create water spots. I dried the die cut with a heat tool and then inked the edges with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink.
I die cut flowers from manila cardstock using the Tattered Florals die. I inked both sides of the flowers with Tumbled Glass Distress Ink. I flicked water onto both sides to create spotting. After drying the flowers I inked the edges with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. I crinkled the paper over and over until it was soft and really flexible.
The flowers are crazy, something I kind of made up on the fly. I created a knot out of silver jewelry wire to create a flower center and a stem. I fed the flowers onto the stem. I then pinched the paper under the flower so that I could do some crude wire wrapping around the paper and down the stem. It is hard to describe the process so I think a video might be in order.
Finally, I adhered the bundle of flowers to the front of the card on the postage stamp piece.
I dyed Crinkle Ribbon with Tumbled Glass Distress Spray Stain. I tied it around the front of the card over the stamp and added a bow. (Check out the Fluffy Bow tutorial.) I added a new Shield Charm below the bow.
I die cut a label from a scrap of a Pocket Card using a die from the Labels die set. I used Remnant Rubs to add “love you” to the label.
I die cut a “friend” using the new Friendship Words Script die set. I inked the sentiment with Peeled Paint Distress Ink. While the ink was wet I sprinkled clear embossing powder on the die cut. I melted the embossing powder with a heat tool. I ran the die cut through my Xyron and adhered it to the label.
I love the background of course, but I also really love how dimensional all the other elements are. This card is so soft and feminine looking and oh so vintage!