We have an ongoing situation in my house over art towels. Emma and I tend to grab dish towels, wash cloths, and even sometimes bath towels when we need an art towel. Needless to say, the chief laundry officer in our house (my husband David) isn’t thrilled with our art needs. He seems to dislike bathing and washing his face with paint and ink-stained towels and wash cloths.
In the past, I had a stash of cloth diapers that I used for art towels. They worked great, were super absorbent (ha ha!) and lasted several years. Eventually they got crusty with glue and were rough. I looked for new cloth diapers but couldn’t find the super soft ones I loved. I also was a bit torn over the price of them for something I really mistreated. I wanted a cheaper option. At CHA I noticed some art towels that Dina Wakley had and asked about them… inexpensive flour sack dish towels. I loved them! As soon as I got home, I ran to Target to grab some.
I thought it would be fun to label them as art towels to help Emma (and me) remember to use the correct towels and make David happy in the process. I decided to combined die cutting and sewing so that my art towels could be a little art project too.
Begin by die cutting Sticky Back Canvas letters. I chose natural color Sticky Back Canvas so that the letters would stand out a bit from the white towel. I also thought it would be cool to see how the two colors and textures looked once I put the towels to work. Any letter die will work, I chose the Sizzix Serif Essentials alphabet because they were the largest letters I had on hand. You could also use stencils or freehand letters onto the Sticky Back Canvas if you don’t have a large-sized font die set.
After die cutting, peel the backing off of the Sticky Back Canvas…
and stick the letters onto the towels like stickers.
Sew through the letters to make them permanent. I sewed random lines, grids, and wavy lines through the letters. I thought the random lines would be fun and it was also easier than trying to sew precisely around the letters like an appliqué. With all of the stitched lines, the letters are secured well. If they peel up any after laundering, I can always add more stitching.
This was such a simple and quick project and one that is sure to keep Emma and me out of trouble with the laundry guy! I can’t wait to use the new towels look with ink and paint all over them making them a piece of art too!