I am so excited to share this project with you today! I have had the honor and pleasure to take part for several years now in the Ranger Ink Designers Challenge. It is one of my favorite parts of CHA. The challenge is a fun one, the folks at Ranger Ink select a group of products to feature and send those products to a group of artists to create with. This year the focus products were the new Tim Holtz Distress Crayons. The featured surface was the new Dina Wakely Media Boards.
I really wanted my piece to feel very feminine and vintage. I wanted it to include texture that was subtle but rich on closer examination.
I began by painting the media board with Peeled Paint, Broken China, and Picket Fence Distress Paints. I stamped my Dear Ruby background stamp randomly over the background with Potting Soil Archival Ink.
I spread Ranger Texture Paste over the background with a palette knife. I misted my Big Fabric stamp lightly with water and pressed it into the texture paste. Water on the stamp changes the texture of the paste a little, making it dry really smooth. The water also keeps the stamp from sticking too much in the paste. Clean the stamp right away with water and scrub brush or stamp scrubber to clean any residual Texture Paste off of the stamp.
I colored over the details in the dried texture paste with the neutral Distress Crayons. I used my finger to buff over the crayons to work the color down into the grooves and to blend it out. I love the way the Texture Paste dried fairly translucent allowing the stamping and color below it to show through.
I sanded the edges of the media board lightly before inking them with Gathered Twigs Distress Ink. I also machine stitched around the edge of the board… YES, you can sew through the Media Board, which I find super cool!
The main embellishment is a scrollwork wooden frame I found at Michaels. I painted the wood frame with Peeled Paint Distress Paint. I used the different neutral Distress Crayons in random straight lines on the dried paint.
I used my finger to buff the Distress Crayon into the wood grain. The finished effect is a very weathered wood look.
Behind the frame I added a torn and inked layer of vellum and a strip of vintage grosgrain ribbon.
The flowers on this piece turned out so amazing! They were die cut from watercolor cardstock using my Shabby Posies (the flowers) and Pom Pom Posies (leaves). I also cut some extra flower layers from tissue paper. I colored the watercolor cardstock with Distress Spray Stains. I used the Walnut Stain Distress Crayon to edge the flower petals. I then buffed the crayon into the paper to blend it in and to play up the texture of the paper.
I edged and buffed the leaves the same way. I also added crayon to the centers of the leaves to accent the embossed leaf details from the die. Isn’t that cool? The leaf dies emboss a vein pattern when you die cut them, all from one die and just one pass through the machine!
The flower centers are so cool. I made them with craft pearls, US ArtQuest Prills, jewelry head pins, and alcohol ink. I will be sharing a full tutorial on these soon. It is just too cool (and easy) not to share in more detail.
At the bottom of the ribbon I added a Small Talk sticker adhered to a strip of adhesive copper foil. I added the foil layer to help draw attention the sentiment and to add a bit of shine. I think the sentiment is a perfect one to go along with the photo and spirit of Ruby, my husband’s grandma.
Tucked in behind the flowers, I used a Frayed Tab on a long vintage pearl tipped hat pin to create a flag with the name Ruby stamped on it.
I loved how easy it was to use the Distress Crayons to add accents to the different textures. They added so much definition! The cool thing about them is that there are many ways to use them, buffing them into a texture is just one! I can’t wait to add more colors to my collection and experiment with them more!
PS. The ship date for all of my products is April. They will be available at stores worldwide (independents and online) and online at www.spellbinderspaperarts.com!